Old 25-11-2014, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Growing cotton

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:30:59 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 11/25/2014 8:28 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:44:33 +1100, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 24/11/2014 11:19 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 21:45:57 +1100, Fran Farmer
wrote:

Certainly here in the US cotton was grown under such conditions (its
commercial heyday is long gone here) .

Granted, these requirements are mainly for commercial plantings, but a
quick Google shows what you see blow...Odd, the list below mentions
"dry conditions," but when cotton was king in the south before the
Civil war, I assure you, nothing was dry about the climate down
there....Mississippi River delta provided the water and the shipping
lanes..

http://www.organiccotton.org/oc/Cott...quirements.php
Cotton is grown between latitudes of 37° north and 30° south in
temperate, subtropical and tropical regions and on every continent.

:-)) Did you notice that although that cite mentions cotton being grown
on 'every continent' there is none shown on the map as growing in
Australia? I got a chuckle out of that - we often don't exist for the
rest of the first world. Not that I particularly mind that in these
post 9/11 days.

I've checked out where it's grown on my continent and it's in dry places
but also a lot further north or west than where I am - worth a try:
http://cottonaustralia.com.au/austra...re-is-it-grown

Never be discouraged from growing things out of approved climate. I am
in northern New Jersey here in the states...I have an olive tree.
Granted - it is in a tub and I bring it in in the winter, but
by-the-gods I get to pick enough olives to play with a bit in the
fall. I assure you olive growing is not recommended within my state.
We get mighty cold here in the winter.

I grow citrus, too....again, I pull the tubs inside for winter. Makes
the kitchen and garage and basement a bit crowded, but the lemon
blossoms scents filling the place makes it worth while.

Boron

My dwarf citrus are now in very large flower pots. At my previous
house, I had only a dwarf lemon in a tub. The tub rested on a wheeled
platform. Since night frosts were common in the winter, I would drag
the lemon into my garage when I came home from work and place it behind
my car. In the morning, I would drag it out again and place it on the
driveway in the sun.

A redwood tub is not forever. Eventually, either the wood rots from the
constant moisture and nutrients, or else the steel straps rust and fall
apart. I switched from tubs to pots when I had trouble finding
replacement redwood tubs.

At my current house, we also get occasional frosts at night. However,
the pots are just too heavy to move. Furtunately, my lemon, navel
orange, and kumquat are in pots such that the branches and foliage are
high enough above the ground that the colder air does not reach them.

As it is, kumquats and Eureka lemons are relatively hardy. Navel
oranges are more hardy than Valencia oranges. And we get less frost here.

Some years ago, Costco had a variation on a wheel-barrow - large tub
that stood perfectly upright with handle (think of a hand truck that
had a built-in tub at the bottom) and I snagged a couple of them for
maybe $20-25 apiece. One holds my olive tree, one holds a Texas fig.
Makes it really easy to cart them around.

The citrus are not as easily carted about.