Old 27-11-2014, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What to do with all the leaves?

Gus Overton wrote:
In the 70s people used to burn them in my hometown, I remember my dad
doing it but it was noticed that's not really good idea when the
flaming leaves get on houses, dry bushes, etc. And the city created
a law banning it

I'm an idiot. I put the front leaves in a plastic bag. I forgot you
aren't supposed to do that anymore. They have biodegradable bags now
you use. I assume the hardware store down the street has some.

There were a billion leaves in the backyard and I did put those where
the tomato plants were. I guess I should empty the plastic bag back
there too. But there are so many leaves I don't think they will
decompose. I should bury them?

Compost them. Any large container will do, or make a heap, perhaps cover
initially if they tend to blow around. Some dampness will speed the
process.

I mulch the beds that do not have ground cover and even some that have
frost-sensitive ground cover. I add them to my compost pile, which is
actually leafmold because there is little other than leaves. I pile
them on my patio and on the paths through my garden. And I fill the
garden waste bin for the county's composting program. Most of the
leaves are from my ash tree, which is the last to drop its leaves and
the first to get new leaves. By the time I have cleared the last pile
from the patio and paths, the tree is already fully in leaf.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see