Old 27-11-2014, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Buying Netting

"Spider" wrote in message
On 26/11/2014 12:21, john t west wrote:
Am putting up a fruit cage 8ft long x 6ft wide x 6ft high, for someone
at their allotment.

And I'm confronted by a bewildering array of different types of netting
available. Also confusingly, I've seen advised; using a 'different
netting' for the roof, than for the sides of the cage.

I can't advise you in general on netting, but I would surmise that the
advice about using different netting for the roof may be to allow for the
weight of snow in winter. I seem to remember someone on urg losing their
fruit cage roof and having to replace it, so the type of netting does have
a bearing on the matter. Perhaps ring Harrods Horticulture or Agriframes
for their advice?

Can anyone advise from 'where' I can buy a * reasonably-priced * netting
please. Thanks.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

LBS have a very good woven netting for the roof which can also be used for
the sides, I personally use chicken wire on the sides because I grow stuff
on it. I would not even think about the non woven nylon net, it wont last a
season and breaks for a past time.

Top tip if its a largish cage then the roof will sag, especially when wet.
prop it up with wood poles set in the ground, but place glass jars on the
top to prevent the net wearing through, this stops you getting soaking when
harvesting after wet weather!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs