Old 30-11-2014, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What to do with all the leaves?

Peter Jason wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 22:42:00 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

Gus Overton writes:

In the 70s people used to burn them in my hometown, I remember my
dad doing it but it was noticed that's not really good idea when the
flaming leaves get on houses, dry bushes, etc. And the city
created a law banning it

I'm an idiot. I put the front leaves in a plastic bag. I forgot
you aren't supposed to do that anymore. They have biodegradable
bags now you use. I assume the hardware store down the street has
some.

There were a billion leaves in the backyard and I did put those
where the tomato plants were. I guess I should empty the plastic
bag back there too. But there are so many leaves I don't think they
will decompose. I should bury them?

Nope, way too much work.

My leaf pile is as big as a van.
It's behind some bushes.

Takes one to 2 years to turn back into dirt.

Not if you set fire to the pile.

There are good reasons that is now illegal many places.