Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default At the risk of being a bore...

On 2014-11-29 22:00:06 +0000, Martin said:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 15:11:26 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:33:47 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote ...

BBC's series of "Glorious Gardens From Above" to my mind is the best
gardening programme broadcast in many a year. It has not unrealistic
ways of building a garden (with concrete or else owt) yet it is edifying
and very entertaining. How many beautiful, garden there are in the UK!

Not watched it, saw who was the presenter and that was it.

I'm not a fan of Christine Walkden either but the gardens make up for
that.

All 30+ of them

And while we thought the balloon thing was going to be an irritating
gimmick, we found it rather useful. It sets the scene for the gardens
in the most literal sense. Not only do you see the garden as a whole,
you see it in its surroundings, whether they be country, town, suburbs.

There was a BBC UK archeology series run at the same time as the beginning of
this series. They used a drone. Other than not seeing Christine in a basket,
they achieved similar if not better results. Most of the aerial views in
Glorious Gardens From Above were made the same way as the archeology series.
What the two series had in common, other than using drones and being worth
watching, was that both series were shown, without any prior BBC publicity, at
times when many people were at work or had other things to do.

Big mistake re the timing, imo. This is one of the better gardening
programmes for a long time.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com