Old 02-12-2014, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default rain in California

David E. Ross wrote:
Since 1 October (the start of our rain year), the local automated
weather station has recorded 2.02 inches. In the past 24 hours, we got
0.90 inches of that.

i'm just so glad to see you folks finally get
some rain. it may not be enough but at least
it is a start.

Unfortunately, our primary water supply comes from northern California,
500 and more miles away. While we have 12 huge reservoirs, they are
insufficient. Instead, we need substantial snowfall as our real
"reservoirs". Note that the 12 reservoirs held only 24% of their
capacity as of 1 November. (1 December data won't be available for
about another week or two.)

the past few days have shown rain up north so that
will at least start the process of recharging those
reservoirs. some of the more southern moisture may
partially end up as snow in the mountains.

songbird