Old 04-12-2014, 07:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default fungus

On 4/12/2014 3:18 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/3/2014 5:39 AM, undautri wrote:
hello im new here so don't know if im posting in the right place or not
Ive recently noticed fungus growing on the trunk of my plum tree and
hope someone can help me regarding saving the tree
should i pull the fungus off or not
thanks in advance

http://tinyurl.com/n8xsafz
kath

Bad news! With fungus growing that high, your tree might already be dead.

Stone fruits -- especially peaches, but also plums, cherries, and
apricots -- are not long-lived. I'm not sure about the others, but I
read that commercial peach orchards are bulldozed and replanted after
about 15 years. The trees might linger longer than that, but they
decline severely.

I know of a stand of ornamental cherries that were planted not more than
14 years ago that also have fungus on their trunks. They were planted
in basins when they should have been planted on mounds. They are dying
of root rot because the basins cause water to accumulate and stand at
the base of the trunks. The fungus on their trunks is merely a symptom
of their dying, not a cause.

I didn't like the look of the vertical splits in the bark on the trunks.