Old 04-12-2014, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Preventing Frost damage by changing Air Humidity

Brian Gaff wrote

Sounds a bit sus to me, cos a by product of the combustion of paraffin is
water vapour.

Sounds like yet another urban myth to me.

Surely greenhouses are going to be close to 100%
relative humidity at night in weather cold enough
for frost to happen inside the greenhouse.

I can't see that a very small flame burning paraffin
is going to make any measurable difference at all.

john t west wrote

Looking at how some people are protecting their Green Houses against the
frost, i was surprised how tiny the flames were on the paraffin heaters
in the green houses. They were hardly giving off any heat at all.

I was told its not about the 'Heat', but the fact that the flame changes
the 'relative humidity' in the air'.

Could anyone explain fairly simply, how this actually works?