Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Agave stolen

On 04/12/2014 19:58, David wrote:
On 04/12/2014 18:22, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
On 02/12/2014 13:28, Saxman wrote:
On 01/12/2014 18:18, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Janet" wrote

bobhobden says...

Went downstairs this morning at about 07.30 and noticed the front
gate was
open, looked out and there it was gone.

One of our two large Agave americana Marginata, the biggest one that
was
given to me by a friend over 40+ years ago as a tiny offshoot. They
have
both been in our front garden for years. Has to have been a
"professional"
job as it probably needed two to carry it in it's tall square clay
pot, I
use a wheeled truck to move it, and they would need some sort of
protective
gear, certainly needed a van or pickup to move it away.

Unfortunately I haven't got 40 years to grow another that big!
B'stards

You might ask the local paper to run an article on the theft, with a
pic of the plant if you have one. Makes it harder to sell, or
display.

The photographer for the local rag called to take photos today and
I've
already had a good discussion with a reporter so it looks like it will
be in the local papers some time soon.
Reporter seems more than interested that the Police said they could
only
follow up the case if I found good CCTV that could ID the offenders
and/or the vehicle. Said he is hearing too many cases like that these
days.

All these stolen bikes and plants. It's probably bike shops and
nurseries. Think about it. They have the means to shift such things
and look less suspicious in the operation. I certainly wouldn't
suspect
anything if I saw your Agave being loaded into the back of a nursery
van.

Good heavens! I would certainly be suspicious *and* alert the neighbour
to what was going on. In our road, we talk to our neighbours and if I
knew a neighbour like Bob with a treasured plant of 40yrs tending,
there's
no way I would ignore its being loaded into a van.
But then I am an award-winning neighbourhood watch coordinator with a
very
suspicious streak. I often challenge dodgy behaviour.

I would never doubt you, but please be careful!

Ah! The nosy old biddy down the road.

That's me. The neighbourhood witch with the twitching curtain :~)).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London