Old 09-12-2014, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default What to do with all the leaves?

On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:28:18 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Gus Overton wrote:
In the 70s people used to burn them in my hometown, I remember my dad
doing it but it was noticed that's not really good idea when the
flaming leaves get on houses, dry bushes, etc. And the city created
a law banning it

I'm an idiot. I put the front leaves in a plastic bag. I forgot you
aren't supposed to do that anymore. They have biodegradable bags now
you use. I assume the hardware store down the street has some.

There were a billion leaves in the backyard and I did put those where
the tomato plants were. I guess I should empty the plastic bag back
there too. But there are so many leaves I don't think they will
decompose. I should bury them?

Compost them. Any large container will do, or make a heap, perhaps cover
initially if they tend to blow around. Some dampness will speed the
process.
--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.

David is much more virtuous than I leaves. (We garden on opposite sides of the same mountain in So Calif, but different micro-climates.)

I don't have many deciduous trees, so am not bothered much by shedding and don't have enough leaves to bother composting like I used to do -- kitchen scraps and all. Now I turn it all over to the City, which rewards us with quarterly compost giveaways.

The cosmetic aspect is what bugs me, frivolous though it may be. I don't like my careful garden plots cluttered with yellowing leaf litter. Tired of raking, I cover mess with small-bore mulch. And repeat. How high will this plateau eventually rise? Stay tuned G

HB

we garden on two sides of the same mountain in So. Cal. but different micro-climates.)