Old 10-12-2014, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cymbidium success

On 09/12/2014 18:01, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David" wrote in
Got round to putting canes in to support the flower spikes today and I
had miss counted One has 4 spikes and the other has 6, though 2 only
have 4 buds each, should be open well for Xmas.
A lot of the orchids are in need of re potting so will have to get some
orchid compost. time to shop around.

I've bought sacks of bark (course and fine) from these people before...
http://www.ratcliffeorchids.co.uk/Pages/trial.aspx

Thanks for that link, Bob - I had no idea there was an orchid nursery
near me (only about 8 miles away ATCF). Some interesting plants there.

Have you tried growing orchids in pretty ordinary compost? I think that
I've posted before that I use ericaceous JI with pieces of old oasis for
a few Phals and one Paph. They seem to grow ok. I thought I was doing
something a bit off-the-wall, but I note that Ratcliffe's sell "Chopped
horticultural foam"!

--

Jeff