Old 10-12-2014, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Cymbidium success

On 09/12/2014 17:03, David wrote:
On 06/12/2014 17:11, Spider wrote:
On 06/12/2014 15:43, Pam Moore wrote:
On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 17:11:16 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 03/12/2014 10:22, Pam Moore wrote:
I have related before the story of my cymbidium which I've had for
over 15 years, which never flowered after the initial flower when I
bought it. 3 years ago it was so big that I split it into 5 and gave 4
away. All of those 4 flowered the last 2 years but mine did not.
I NOW HAVE A BUD COMING!
Can't say if it was following Bob's advice or just luck, but my
patience has paid off!
Pam near Bristol

Well done, Pam! I just know you're going to really enjoy those
flowers.

Thanks Spider. It really is exciting to have a flower after all these
years. When I rescued it from my Mother's house at keast 15 years ago
it had only about 4 leaves and looked at death's door. Now it is huge
and 4 friends have flowerint pieces too.
Of my 5 phals 3 are in flower or bud and one has a new plant at the
base.

Keep up the good work!. You've obviously got the knack, and enough
patience to shame a saint.

Got round to putting canes in to support the flower spikes today and I
had miss counted One has 4 spikes and the other has 6, though 2 only
have 4 buds each, should be open well for Xmas.
A lot of the orchids are in need of re potting so will have to get some
orchid compost. time to shop around.
David @ a wet side of Swansea Bay

I had a bad batch of orchid compost a couple of years ago and lost a
couple of plants before I realised what was wrong. The compost tended
to drain poorly, even though it was exactly the same type I'd previously
used with success, so I'm much more wary these days. I sometimes buy a
bag of bulb compost (light mix, free draining and 'sweetened' with
charcoal, usually) to mix with the proprietory orchid compost, and this
has worked well. It mixes well with the bark, allowing the roots
contact with the compost, but doesn't impede drainage.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London