Old 14-12-2014, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Compost

Stuart I cannot argue as the whether volcanic soil is good or bad, but I
have just returned from a cruise which took in Gran Canary. The ship docked
in the north and we took the bus to the south to our daughter and son in
law's apartment block in the south. Now what I saw was 'barren' fields and
landscape, but fascinatingly, areas of land divided up into 'allotments' by
collecting the larger stones and placing them in lines to form 'boundaries'.
However, nothing was growing and it didn't look as if anything had been or
was going to be growing in the near future. First question. Why? Second
question. IS this something new and are they 'allotments'? Third question.
Would compost shipped out there by the Tonne do any good?

Mike

"stuart noble" wrote in message ...

On 14/12/2014 15:35, 'Mike' wrote:
Thanks Bob. It is actually volcanic soil I am interested in improving,
but we have a heat and lack of water problem. My very inexperienced
thoughts are that the compost would add body.

I thought volcanic soil was the ideal growing medium in terms of
nutrients and water holding capacity.
Perhaps you have a holiday home in a volcanic region?