Old 14-12-2014, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost

On 14/12/14 16:08, stuart noble wrote:
On 14/12/2014 15:35, 'Mike' wrote:
Thanks Bob. It is actually volcanic soil I am interested in improving,
but we have a heat and lack of water problem. My very inexperienced
thoughts are that the compost would add body.

I thought volcanic soil was the ideal growing medium in terms of nutrients and
water holding capacity.

While volcanic soil can be very good for some crops, I doubt it is for those
reasons.

The volcanic areas that I have seen are /very/ dry, since the "soil" is very
porous and completely without clays.

Example: Iceland. All volcanic. Very dry surface in many places despite the high
rainfall. Normal temperature range on the periphery: 0C to 20C.

20% is "green and fertile", but that only requires a 1 inch diameter tuft of
grass every foot! Yes, they do grow tomatoes and bananas, but only in
greenhouses ObJoke: Q - what do you do when you get lost in an Icelandic
forest? A: stand up.