Old 15-12-2014, 05:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Hobden[_5_] Bob Hobden[_5_] is offline

Default Mystery mountain plant

"Willi_9" wrote

'Bob Hobden[_5_ Wrote:
;1010008']"Willi_9" wrote-

'Bob Hobden[_5_ Wrote:-
;1009711']Came across this small tree on a walk on the Revelin Moss
trail on the
Winlatter Pass in the Lake District, Cumbria, UK. looked so out of
place

amongst the greens and browns of autumn.-

Could it be this?
'Viburnum Brandywine -
('Viburnum Brandywine - Buy Naked Witherod Shrubs Online'
(http://tinyurl.com/nwt3m3m))

-
Similar colour but again that has berries in clusters whereas the one I
saw
didn't as you can see from the photo. The fruits are spread evenly all
over
the plant.

Aside from whether it be a sorbus, viburnum or whatever, what I see in
your picture (nice one btw) is mainly this (attached a detail):
.. the shrub seems to have a very compact growth. I think that could be
caused by game bite and this would also explain why the flowers and
fruits are so closely attached to the branches.
Nevertheless the shapes of the inflorescence are a kind of panicles.

Ok, I only can refer to your photographs, while you have the chance to
repeat your trip next summer and look for flowers and leafage.

Remember it was quite high up a mountain on the high bank of a stream
surrounded by pine trees which may account for the stunted growth, but maybe
someone else will walk that route and see it in the spring/summer when it's
in leaf. We don't normally go up there until the autumn.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.