Old 18-12-2014, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Winter Solstice..

....has been celebrated since pre-historic times, when our ancestors observed with dismay that the Sun seemed to be going away, so they created rites to make it return.

Among many Websites

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/w...erHolidays.htm

explains a few of the ones we know --like Christmas,* Chanukah, Saturnalia, etc.
and some that we may not know about.

* birth of Christ would have been in the Spring at lambing time: "...there were shepherds abiding in the fields...keeping watch over their flocks by night..."

Christianity methodically took over and rebranded "pagan" festivals and their sacred sites.

Whatever you celebrate, (if you do), may it be meaningful.

Best wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

And may there be peace on Earth.

HB