Old 18-12-2014, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Dinner Tonight...

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:00:49 -0800, Todd wrote:

On 12/17/2014 02:48 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:32:06 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 20:42:59 -0500, Brooklyn1
wrote:

Roast center cut pork loin:
http://i62.tinypic.com/jrquxj.jpg
Rice n' black beans:
http://i57.tinypic.com/2uztgeb.jpg
DeeLish:
http://i62.tinypic.com/14syx3c.jpg
Burp!

... tsk tsk
I don't see any green or any orange veggies !
You do have a nice half-meal though ..

Nothing precluded you from partaking of my salad bar:
http://i61.tinypic.com/v8m1eb.jpg

Hi Brooklyn1,

Looks yummy!

I'd have to stay a country mile away from the rice and
beans due to the Diabetes, which [brown] rice had
a big part in creating. That being said, what seasoning
did you use on your rice?

I use Goya Sason, Penzeys Adobo, and several herbs n' spices, plus I
make it differently each time... sometimes with diced bell pepper and
diced canned tomatoes.

Homemade dressing????

Sometimes homemade, sometimes bottled.

How much of your salad came from your garden? My salads are
about half store bought and half garden (purslane,
tomatillo, cherry tomatoes, sometimes a cucumber)
when in season. I have rotten luck growing cucumbers.

In summer probably more than half is from my garden.

Sometimes I will add a boiled egg to my salads. Doesn't
come out so good.

I like egg salad but I don't add eggs to my garden salad, typically I
add canned beans, garbonzos are good, and often there's left over
steak or roast beef to slice in, cheese too, and cubes of hard salami
and pepperoni... kind of what's called a Chef's Salad. This past
summer I grew a ton of swiss chard, leaves are very good in salads,
diced stems are wonderful in soups. Chard is actually beets but just
the tops, no root. Sadly most folks tear off the beet tops and leave
them in the produce section... the manager will give me all the beet
tops I can carry for free and I take them all, better than spinach. I
haven't had much luck growing beets, grubs bore into them, I use no
chemicals... I much prefer dealing with canned beets anyway... I like
pickled beet salad too. I do well with cucumbers, I plant lots,
mostly kirbys as they have thin very edible skin and are wonderful for
fermented pickles... I don't care much for cooked pickles. My garden
is pretty large for a home garden (50' X 50') and each year I
experiment with some different crops. I add no fertilizers either, I
do my own composting and add that. The soil here in the Hudson valley
is very rich top soil and is between 3'-6' deep... my garden is
alongside a natural spring fed stream so I never need to water.
Vegetable garden is fenced, this is early May, not planted yet:
http://i59.tinypic.com/2mre7f5.jpg