Old 21-12-2014, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_5_] Bob Hobden[_5_] is offline

Default D. Imperialis and D Tenuicalis

"David" wrote

Re posting with fresh links
Whilst we were away the tree dahlias were blasted by what looks like
frost and wind but still have flowers looking fresh
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc0624e6f.jpg
so hopes for Xmas day and poss. New years day?
It is strange but the D.Imperialis was badly hit by the weather
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps7316b6a8.jpg
But the D. Tenuicalis was not touched and it's in the same block of
planting, just a matter of feet away.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psbe85990b.jpg
All pictures taken yesterday.

Hope this is easier to get into.

Chris do you have heat to root cuttings?

The Tree Dahlia, D.imperialis, that we got from Hill House turned to black
mush at the slightest frost such that we never saw it flower, buds about to
break yes, but then always a frost. Still a stunning plant though and worth
growing for it's architectural merits.
Perhaps D tenuicaulis is a touch more hardy or does it have a bit more tree
protection from the wind?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.