Old 21-12-2014, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The birds dont care

On 21/12/2014 13:03, David wrote:
I have the feeder about 5ft from the window, and its light rain outside,
but on the feeder now are

Most scattered now by the arrival of one of our Greater spotted woodpecker.

Yes, we have one of those as a local thug too! GSW are bullies, happily
scaring smaller birds off, but seemingly scared of their own shadows -
as soon as I walk into the room they are off, whereas most of the tits,
sparrows, and the like stay on.

Mind you, it was rather pleasing a few months ago to see the mother GSW
feed a peanut piece to a baby, while father looked on, all on top of the
pergola from which the feeders hang.

Very few Lone Rangers (goldfinches) this year compared to the last few.

--

Jeff