Old 24-12-2014, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_8_] Ophelia[_8_] is offline

Default Ping Spider (was In the garden)

"Spider" wrote in message

Yes! They do have green netting I will take them down and see how
else I can use them. What do you use to hang yours in?

I now have a variety of proprietory feeders that each take two or three
seed balls. It was difficult before I bought them, but I did try
suspending them inside small plant pots (using wire), but it was a bit of
a fiddle. If need be, you could always crumble them onto a bird table (or
the ground) for now, but I acknowledge that it is safer for the birds
feeding from a tree *and* much more fun for you to watch from the house.
If you can't easily provide a makeshift hanger, then I suggest you buy a
few ready-made ones. You'll never regret it.

Thank you for the warning!

You're more than welcome. Nobody who is caring enough to feed birds wants
to harm them.

Right well hubby has been down and rigged a feeder, bless him :

Our small portable greenhouse has the cover removed for the winter so he put
a piece of plastic guttering across the upper horizontal supports, drilled a
small hole near the top next to the vertical bars at each end and used
pieces of string to tie the guttering to them. Then he inserted some wire
mesh to raise the fat balls so that any rain water would drain away
underneath them and stuck a length of duct tape across the end of the gutter
in case the balls rolled down the slight slope due to wind. He also drilled
a hole through the centre of one fat ball and tied it to the tree with a
plastic tie, though if the birds go at it consistently from one side it will
inevitably fall off eventually. If you need a pic I can do that.

It looks a bit odd, but safety is the aim) Thank you again)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/