Old 26-12-2014, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bernard Peek Bernard Peek is offline

Default NIN

On 26/12/14 08:25, Bob Hobden wrote:
"RG" wrote ...

I'm very sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings at this time of year,
but it seems that News Individual Net will no longer be available to
users outside Germany. This is very sad, as it is by far the best
Usenet server and I know that many here rely on it.

It seems to be due to new VAT regulations, but is quite contrary to
the EU principles of common trade access.

"Due to changes in European tax law coming into force on 01.01.2015,
we can only offer our service to users which have their tax domicile
in Germany."

https://news.individual.net/register/step1.php

This seems to be the problem.........

http://www.foreigninvestments.eu/en/...ronic-services

So if they continue to take money from outside Germany, where they are
based, they would need to pay VAT in the countries where their customers
are based. An accountants nightmare and very costly to administer.

Each country has a method for collecting all of the tax due and
redistributing it to the relevant other countries. In the UK it's called
VATMOSS. To use the system you are required to collect certain
information from the customer but the advice from HMRC is apparently not
written by someone with English as a mother tongue. I'm waiting for my
MP to pry clarification from HMRC. No hurry though, I don't need the
information for another six days.

--
Bernard Peek

In search of cognoscenti (again)