Old 28-12-2014, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Runner beans

We don't blanche at all. Just cut and freeze.

Mike

.................................................. ................
'Ask not what the Theatre can do for you,
but what you can do for the Theatre'
www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk

"Bigal" wrote in message ...

Christina Websell;1010161 Wrote:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
-
But I fully agree that they are a complete waste of time to freeze.

-
Disagree totally. Enorma freeze well (still eating them)
Still yummy.

Over blanched and over cooked seems to be a problem. This year I
definitely over blanched, and even just bringing to the boil tends to
over cook them. The texture is a lot softer than when fresh, so it
would seem that minimal blanching (or even none), and a quick steaming
rather than boiling might be best for cooking. Aging also changes the
taste buds, and that could also be a problem affecting me. As for
salting, new research is showing that it is sugar that causes more blood
pressure problems than salt. (Just in case you haven't yet read that
bit.)

--
Bigal