Old 29-12-2014, 08:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cactus flower

On 28/12/14 23:43, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Sunday, December 28, 2014 3:42:22 PM UTC-8, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
I missed the bloom. Lasted only 1-1/2 days. Will it bloom again?

Short; barrel-shaped. I don't have a pic, but the nearest I could find on-line is:

Echinocereus_ petinatus (Wikipedia)

Anybody?

HB

Sorry; pectinatus

If it is indeed that, it will bloom again, but is very unlikely to this
year, unless you can see buds forming on it now. It also seems an odd
time to flower - most cacti flower in spring.

In general, most cacti need a good winter rest to flower. They need to
be cool and dry., and in a position of good light. Most are quite happy
just kept above freezing (note that this does /not/ include those from
tropical climates, which tend to not like cold at all, and must be kept
warm all year round), and not watered.

Beware two possible problems. Firstly, and most likely to result in
their demise, is keeping them on a windowsill and closing the curtains.
This can trap very cold air between the glass and curtain, and if the
outside temperature is particularly low, any plant in that position
could experience well-below freezing temperatures. Secondly, don't keep
them on a windowsill above a radiator which is very hot all day. If that
is the only place you have to keep them, then, in an exception to the
usual rule, they must have a little water now and again to stop them
drying out.

Good luck! Cacti have some of the most spectacular - but unfortunately
short-lived - flowers. Enjoy them when they appear.

--

Jeff