Old 29-12-2014, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Chlorinate rain water?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 14:34:49 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 12/29/2014 11:56 AM, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Managed to save 2 trashcans full from our recent welcome rains.

Plan to use them for potted plants, indoor & out. They are SO much happier with clean sky water! You folks that get rain don't realize how precious this is.

Water may last quite a while. Should I chlorinate it to avoid --what?
Haven't seen any mosquitoes breeding over last [censored] years...but...

If yes, how much bleach per 32 gal trash can?

TIA

HB

Keep the cans covered. If they develop mosquito larvae anyway, spread
about 1/4 cup (or less) of cooking oil over the surface. The oil should
create a film thin enough that it will be harmless to your potted
plants, but it should spread enough to cover the entire surface of the
water. When you dip out the water for your plants, be careful to avoid
getting all the oil at once.

Don't use motor oil or household lubricating oil. In contact with soil,
cooking oil will eventually decompose; the others might not.

Exactly, coating the surface of stagnant water with plain veggie oil
will sufficate mosquito larva.