Old 30-12-2014, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Chlorinate rain water?

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 2:55:56 AM UTC-8, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 29/12/14 19:56, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Managed to save 2 trashcans full from our recent welcome rains.

Plan to use them for potted plants, indoor & out. They are SO much happier with clean sky water! You folks that get rain don't realize how precious this is.

Water may last quite a while. Should I chlorinate it to avoid --what?
Haven't seen any mosquitoes breeding over last [censored] years...but...

If yes, how much bleach per 32 gal trash can?

None. It is not necessary.

If you ever have a need to disinfect rainwater for some reason, then
don't use bleach. Use hydrogen peroxide instead. It will be just as
effective, and as it decomposes to water and oxygen, will not be harmful.

--

Jeff

Thanks to all for input. I should have made it clear that my concern was whether chlorinating the cans of rain water -- even a little -- would hurt the plants. Not really concerned about mosquitoes, so may have been misleading.

hydrogen peroxide, I have long used it as a minor wound disinfectant and a dental rinse (my dentist says OK). Didn't think of it for water. Very interesting. Looked it up:

http://www.lenntech.com/processes/di...rogen-peroxide.

Suggestions for proportion of HOOH to 32 gal H2O?

TIA

HB