Old 31-12-2014, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david david is offline

Default The birds dont care

On 31/12/2014 10:35, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...
do you have sparrowhawks in your garden Roger?

Yes I do, and as Malcolm says, there sucess rate is very
limited. I do have a picture of one in the garden, enjoying a
snack, but I'll not upset you by posting it!

Taken to extreme, you arguements could be construed as any
carnivore, including man should not exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been watching this thread develop over time and have to laugh.
My feeder has plenty pf shelter near it for the birds anything from 2 ft
away to 20 ft depending on the direction of flight.
Our resident sparrowhawk patrols about once an hour and I have yet to
see it get a bird from the feeder, my other feeding station is along the
track where I have the feed hanging inside Hanging baskets hung as a
pair on end.
I have seen the Sparrow Hawk holding on to the baskets and trying to
catch a small bird inside the baskets (well we like Chicken in the basket).
I have also seen him diving through the hawthorn hedge after a bird;
which got away.
He has also at times perched on top of the feeder to get his breath
back, or on a nearby branch
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psf1839bc9.jpg
Normally after his visits everything is back to normal within about 3
minutes.
I should add that any mice I trap go onto the track for him and vanish
in very quick time.
David @ a frost free side of Swansea Bay