Old 01-01-2015, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Chlorinate rain water?

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 10:50:14 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 16:52:16 +1100, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 30/12/2014 9:10 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
Managed to save 2 trashcans full from our recent welcome rains.

Plan to use them for potted plants, indoor & out. They are SO much
happier with clean sky water! You folks that get rain don't
realize how precious this is.

Water may last quite a while. Should I chlorinate it to avoid
--what? Haven't seen any mosquitoes breeding over last [censored]
years...but...

If yes, how much bleach per 32 gal trash can?

TIA

HB

Why go to the trouble of collecting clean water, that you claim is
better for your plants, to then pollute it? What do you imagine
might grow in it that would harm your plants? To repel mossies
hang socks around the rim of the tubs.

:-)) I once saw a question in a newsgroup from someone who asked
whether he could drink rainwater. You can imagine how that made me
roll around laughing.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drin...ollection.html

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-wat...ink-78356.html

http://www.harvesth2o.com/filtration...l#.VKQLoSvF-6U

Sure there are risks involved in anything that you ingest but these articles
are not balanced. There seems to be an unstated assumption in relation to
modern public health (often from the USA) that anything that is not sterile
is a serious risk. We see this in 100 ways, where you can't eat this or
touch that, your kitchen benches MUST be cleaned with some handy dandy
steriliser and you will drop dead if any human hand has touched the food
before you put it in your mouth.

That is not the intent or implication of *any* of these articles. You
seem to have read that into them all by yourself, then conflated it
into the rant you posted while sliding down an awfully slippery slope,
Mr. StrawMan.

Stick to the specific topic.

Boron