Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default NIN

On 2015-01-01 16:41:41 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote
I hope their service continues but to be honest, I'm not worrying too
much yet. Newsgroups are attracting fewer and fewer people and many of
us now 'talk' on Facebook in gardening groups there, of which there are
several. Membership is moderated, up to a point, so trolls aren't
allowed in and nor are the terminally angry and rude! I have never
seen a genuine post deleted but politeness is expected and is the norm,
even where views conflict! Nuisances are easily expelled or blocked,
too, if necessary and that rarely happens. I regret to say that I think
newsgroups will soon become empty spaces and that few servers will
carry them.

But first you have to be on Facebook which I didn't like at all because
of their default security settings (far too open) and lack of proper
security advice.

You can be very choosy about how much you reveal about yourself and of
course, it's up to the individual to be cautious about what you post.
Anyone who announces anywhere, including here, that they're away from
home and have left the house empty, or that they're giving a party,
with times and dates, is asking for trouble.

I was thinking more on the fact that when on Facebook I became the
"friend" of one of our friends children and his whole school opened up
to me because they had gone with standard security settings which let
friends of friends see everything. I knew who was doing what and when
and where, dreadful for the children's safety.

But that is up to the individual. As it is here. You can use a nom de
Facebook, if you wish and plenty give absolutely no detail, requiring
that you contact them to ask for further info or contact details.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com