Old 03-01-2015, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david david is offline

Default National Trust walled gardens

On 03/01/2015 15:41, Bob Hobden wrote:
I understand the National Trust is to try to bring back a significant
number of it's walled gardens into production. My problem is that I've
heard they intend to remake the old greenhouses as they were, all manual
and in wood, instead of using modern materials and automation and things
like double glazing for the orchid houses. Personally I think that is
crazy as the old Head Gardeners would never have countenanced such a
retrograde step.
What do others think?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Nothing wrong with remaking them in wood, but I would double glaze them,
as for fitting automatic vents I would say NO.
A good old hand operated ventilation system can be very efficient and
does teach the younger gardener about glasshouse ventilation, which a
computer operated system wont do.
I still have to visit Duffryn house and gardens to see what they have
done, as they have rebuilt the glasshouses and re done the walled
garden. I knew the old setup quite well.
I certainly don't like the idea of Aluminum houses as replacements.
David