Old 04-01-2015, 06:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Frank is offline

Default Relaying Lawn

On 1/3/2015 3:06 PM, nabberuk wrote:
We've recently moved into our home and i would like to relay our front
lawn.

Reasons for this a

- It's really uneven
- It's mostly moss

The lawn doesn't get much sun due to the hedge which i think has been
encouraging the moss. I've read that you can buy seed that will happily
live in shady conditions.

My plan for this is to do to the following;

- Cover the grass with black plastic in order to kill the current lawn.
- User a weed killer to kill any further weeds
- Rake all debris
- Flatten and mix in top soil
- lay seed
- water regularly
- cut frequently on a high setting after roots have bedded in.

Does this sound viable? Also i'm not sure what sort of time frame i
should aim for?

Below is a picture of the lawn at the moment.

'View image: WP 20150103 12 25 54 Pro'
(http://postimg.org/image/7qzlrbd97/)

I don't know what winter lawns look like in the UK but mine in the US
does not look that good in the winter.

In your lawn, I don't see all moss and it looks under fertilized.
If it were mine, I'd wait until spring, check pH and fertilize with weed
killer in the fertilizer and see what happens.