Old 05-01-2015, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default National Trust walled gardens

On 2015-01-05 10:10:53 +0000, Roger Tonkin said:

Have followed this article with interest, so here's my
thoughts.

I do not support the NT, do do visit some of their properties,
so am neutral on that.

It seems to me if the NT think it is worth spending money on
building old fashioned style greenhouses, then they MUST grow
only the crops and varieties that were available in the period
they are mimicking.

Good luck to them, presumably they will do some monitoring of
visits etc at one rebuild before spreading it across the
country?

I take your point but afaik, they try to grow things that can be sold
and certainly supply their own cafés, where possible. If old varieties
are either less productive, or more labour intensive, that isn't going
to work. It's often overlooked that the properties they look after do
have to 'wash their own faces', if at all possible and must produce
some form of income for their own benefit. If it's just our proverbial
half a crown that's how it has to be but if it can sell and use crops,
then it must. These places cost a fortune to look after.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com