Old 05-01-2015, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Tree for a very small garden

On 2015-01-04 16:17:21 +0000, Pam Moore said:

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 22:19:37 +0000, Sacha

On 2015-01-01 22:43:40 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Chris Hogg" wrote

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

I put "very" in the title because the TV presenters idea of a small garden
and reality is not the same. We are talking about 20ft by 30ft. and it's
about 5 miles from Heathrow.

Friend needs a small decorative tree, preferably deciduous, for her back
garden, gets sun for a couple of hours daily, quite a protected site with
houses all around. Needs something that won't grow too tall or wide and is
not horrendously expensive to buy. Her wish is to attract birds into the
garden because at the moment she has no cover for them. Flowers or autumn
foliage colour would be a bonus.

Something fastigiate? There's a selection here
http://tinyurl.com/ok88vbw including a couple of Liquidambars which
have good autumn colour. Some RHS suggestions here
http://tinyurl.com/pz7rgoh

Thanks Chris but we had a Liquidambar once, grew like Jack's beanstalk.

Did anyone suggest Amelanchier - Ray's suggestion.

I second that suggestion. In fact I have one but it is still small and
has been in the ground for about 5 years. A neighbour has one which
has not grown a huge amount in over 10 years.

Would Luma apiculata be happy there? It's not very large and is easily
contained, even cloud-pruned. It's evergreen and it flowers, on and
off, almost all year. Ours has had a breather for about a month and
I've just noticed flowers beginning to break again on one of them in a
sheltered spot.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com