Old 06-01-2015, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Growing Carrots

In article ,
says...

"Judith in England" wrote

Any particular recommendations please?
Types - growing - protection from root-fly etc.

Because we are on a heavy clay/silt soil with stones we grow our carrots in
an old water tank using bought compost mixed with sand. Works well, we are
still cropping and only minor fly damage even this late probably because
they don't like flying up so high to get in the tank. Of course we could
just cover the tank with enviromesh and stop it completely, don't know why
we don't actually except we did try that on another plot and got bad
germination.

I get a reasonable crop, but they do tend to split/divide with
the stones!Very little if any troible from the fly.

Neighbour grows them in and old metal dustbin, and I may try
that this year.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales