Old 07-01-2015, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The birds dont care

"David B" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
"Peter & Jeanne" wrote in message

Regular visitor to our feeders is a sparrowhawk.
Not after the nuts either !

All is peaceful sharing with the regular woodies though (:-)

Pete

I stopped feeding the birds due to this very thing - a very persistant
sparrowhawk who saw my bird table and hanging feeders as an ideal
opportunity. It felt like I was just setting up a trap for the small
bird's demise.
Unfortunately, the sparrowhawk nested in my garden hatching 6 chicks so
it
will be quite a while before I can feed the birds again.
Feeding the birds used to give me a lot of pleasure.

Then carry on doing so. Sparrowhawks deserve to feed, too, and each
will be satisfied by the equivalent of one starling per day. By having
them nest in your garden, they were taking up to 8 times that.during
the rearing period, so there's no logic in a different attitude during
the winter!

I don't care what you say, I'm not going to feed birds in my garden while
I have sparrowhawks here that will pick them off the birdtable.
I so wish they were not protected.

Oh dearie me.
Would you really kill them, as that is what you are insinuating?

--
David

No, of course not. They are protected. Pity.