Old 07-01-2015, 01:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Relaying Lawn

On Sunday, January 4, 2015 1:21:52 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

I don't know what winter lawns look like in the UK but mine in the US
does not look that good in the winter.

In your lawn, I don't see all moss and it looks under fertilized.
If it were mine, I'd wait until spring, check pH and fertilize with weed
killer in the fertilizer and see what happens.

Agree, I don't see moss either and one section looks fertilized, the
rest doesn't. If the existing grass type, texture, color, etc are
acceptable, then I agree I'd work with what's there. It's not in real
bad shape.

On the other hand, if he's set on changing the grass type and wants to
start over, then the plan given will work. Just make sure that any
weedkiller is glyphosate and not something that will prevent grass
from growing when reseeded. As to timeframe, fall is by far the best
time, when nature is on your side. Spring would be the second option.
In Spring you'll have more competition from weeds and also need to
keep it watered more in approaching summer conditions. Doing it in
fall, the grass has a lot longer to get established before summer temps
arrive. But with a small area, which is easier to keep watered, as long
as you tend to it, it will be OK. Could also try Frank's suggestion
to work with what's there this year and if not satisfied, then reseed
in fall.