Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Davej Davej is offline

Default Soil Testing?

On Monday, January 5, 2015 4:34:47 PM UTC-6, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Davej wrote:
Is this worth doing, and if so then how?

It depends on what you are trying to achieve.
[...]

Well, my garden soil is pretty much clay, but over the years it has at times been improved with the addition of composted mulch, however last year I noticed it was looking rather like clay again (the organic matter disappears completely in time) so I have added mulch again. I'm guessing it will be acidic for awhile, but I don't know how this would be most noticeable -- what garden plants would be the most affected. Perhaps if I add lime it would mostly be for the benefit of certain more acid-sensitive plants? Thanks.