Old 08-01-2015, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Soil Testing?

Davej wrote:
On Monday, January 5, 2015 4:34:47 PM UTC-6, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Davej wrote:
Is this worth doing, and if so then how?

It depends on what you are trying to achieve.
[...]

Well, my garden soil is pretty much clay, but over the years it has
at times been improved with the addition of composted mulch, however
last year I noticed it was looking rather like clay again (the
organic matter disappears completely in time) so I have added mulch
again. I'm guessing it will be acidic for awhile, but I don't know
how this would be most noticeable -- what garden plants would be the
most affected. Perhaps if I add lime it would mostly be for the
benefit of certain more acid-sensitive plants? Thanks.

I am still unsure of what you are trying to acheive in your garden or hope
to get out of soil testing.

Perhaps if you bought a dye indicator kit for a few dollars you could find
out how acidic your soil is. Combine this with the preference of the plants
you are trying to grow and you will have some information about whether you
need to add lime, how much and where.

If you want more specific advice you need to give some information and ask
more specific questions.

--
David

A better world requires a daily struggle
against those who would mislead us.