Old 12-01-2015, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default ping Spider (starlings)

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 17:01:00 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

You could try offering the dried mealworms often on sale for wild birds.

Heck, from where would I obtain the aforementioned err mealworms???

They are sold in tubs or strong polythene packs specifically for bird
feeding. We buy ours from Poundstretcher or whichever gardencentre we're
visiting. If you can find them in pound shops, they will be cheaper.
They're widely available. I

The link actually shows a suet block with mealworms, but insect ones are
available, too. Once you start looking, you'll see all sorts of diets and
flavours.

I am starting to feel slightly queasy ...

Got a container handy?

I purchased a large bag of dried mealworms at the end of last winter
and didn't get around to putting any out as spring came .
Last November as I was getting the feeders ready I decided to put some
out and removed a handful. Interesting sensation on the hand and on
closer examination most of the mealworms were alive and moving.
Must have been some eggs amongst the batch which hatched in the warmth
of summer . looked like they had survived by eating the dried ones
which had become moist from rain that penetrated the old metal bin
they were kept in.

Birds loved them, Some worms are still alive now.

G.Harman