Old 13-01-2015, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default ping Spider (starlings)

On 12/01/2015 22:15, Ophelia wrote:

"Spider" wrote in message
Ok I will watch out for that. Incidentally, is this just for
starlings or
all the birds? I was just reading Stephen's post who no longer gets
them I suppose they may not come back

I should just put it where the starlings eat and see what happens.
Lots of birds need a meat diet and may be interested, but there's no
guarantee the starlings will take it yet. It was just my suggestion,
being a form of meat you could easily offer. You'll soon find out if
there are other interested parties. Continue to put out the fat balls
so the starlings have a choice; that way, you'll see which they prefer.

Yes, we filled up the sdff(tm) this afternoon. We had, a few starlings
(nothing like the mob we had yesterday) so they haven't forgotten us.
When they finished in the sdff they were also having a go at the fat
balls on the trees and while they were there, a chaffinch and a few
sparrows got busy on the sdff(tm). A lady blackbird was feeding on the
ground from the bits the others had dropped Well that was just one
time I was watching The sdff(tm) certainly seems popular))))

It may be popular because it's a bigger than usual structure which
allows them plenty of room, plus it's sufficiently open that they they
can see predators approaching. Nice to know the other birds are getting
a beakful, too:~).

I am starting to feel slightly queasy ...

E, tha's a big girl's blouse, lass! Have a stiff cup of tea and
remember it's the birds who'll be eating the mealworms, not you!;~)).

Aye, tha's right missus. Sigh ... I shall 'ave to gird up me loins and
get mesen sorted!!! ;-)

LOL! That's fighting talk! If wriggly things really do give you
queasitis, then buy the suet blocks with insects/mealworms all mixed in.
You won't perceive you're handling them in quite the same way. The
birds will still be grateful.

I see various birds around them all the time so I think they are safe.
I am
not talking about garden ponds btw ...

Oh, right! Well, so long as the birds are safe.

Well I have never seen any birds swimming thank goodness and they do
seem to be very popular spots

They don't swim. They just drown:~((. However, if the birds have found
a popular spot and are safe, then we're all happy.

If you use a strong cleaner like bleach, you will have to scrupulous
about
rinsing it well. I buy a cleaner made specially for pets called
'Keep it
Clean':

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...uWtAo d_XcAUA

Right! I have taken note!

again, it is available in supermarkets, pet shops and many garden
centres.
I use it around my cats and for cleaning birdy devices. I even use
it to
clean the kitchen floor where the cats eat (yes, they have bowls!:~)).

lol I know just what you mean ...

I bet he will! Once you start this bird feeding obsession, you'll
both be only too pleased to forfeit some artefact or project to keep
the birds happy. Sounds good to me:~).

lol With your encouragement how else could it be????

Nice of you to say so, but it's *your* encouragement the birds are
interested in. You've both made a great start and I get no sense that
you're about to stop:~).

Not a chance ... g Does the diet change throughout the year?

The parent starlings offer only live insect food to start with. After
some weeks (mentioned in that starling link, I believe), the young can
take other foodstuffs as well. They have to really, because they have
to eat seeds/berries/nuts, as well as scavenge, to get through the
winter.

I think most parent birds feed their young on a high protein insect
diet to build them up. It's only later that other food becomes
acceptable. The important thing is not to offer whole nuts while ever
there may be young birds and inexperience fledglings around because
there is a very real risk of choking.

Oh crumbs! (puts peanuts back in shed - the one without a guttering)

Yes, birds will take crumbs;~)). (E, I shall cut mesen one day!). As to
the peanuts, you can get them out of the shed again and put them in a
mesh feeder, which is safe. Birds love peanuts and they're good for
them, too, they just need to be available in small pieces so choking is
avoided. Don't feel guilty, by the way, that squirrels aren't getting
their share; peanuts give squirrels osteoporosis.

So when is this likely to happen? Are the few who came today the ones
likely to breed nearby?

There's a good chance of it, I would have thought, especially if you
keep up your feeding regime. Any bird or creature will breed as close
to a good feeding ground as it safely can. However, you will need to
stop using pesticides in the garden, otherwise the parent birds will
offer poisoned insect food to their young, which I know you don't want.
Hopefully, with a garden full of hungry birds, most of your aphids and
caterpillers will be gobbled up:~).

Sheesh I know so little. For many years I was living away from UK or
working and since I retired I moved around with hubby who was an IT
consultant contractor and it is only since he retired fairly recently
that I have had the time to stay home for a long enough period to take
such an interest in the life in my garden. But I am enjoying it very
much, so thank you for teaching me)

I'm not sure I'm teaching you, so much as geeing up your pre-existing
enthusiasm, and chucking in a few tips. I'm no expert. I'm learning as
I go along, too.

Hug of the Day flying to you. It's alright, you don't have to feed
it;~).

lol not even mealworms ...???

Especially not mealworms, thank you:~). However, I do love vermicelli
which means 'little worms':~).

LOLOL

:~)).
--