Old 13-01-2015, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_8_] Ophelia[_8_] is offline

Default ping Spider (starlings)

"Spider" wrote in message

It may be popular because it's a bigger than usual structure which allows
them plenty of room, plus it's sufficiently open that they they can see
predators approaching. Nice to know the other birds are getting a
beakful, too:~).

ATM we have a good half dozen starlings and several sparrows eating (mostly)
amicably together When a starling gets fed up and bumps a sparrow off, it
just hops on to one of the seeds feeders and then back again))

I am starting to feel slightly queasy ...

E, tha's a big girl's blouse, lass! Have a stiff cup of tea and
remember it's the birds who'll be eating the mealworms, not you!;~)).

Aye, tha's right missus. Sigh ... I shall 'ave to gird up me loins and
get mesen sorted!!! ;-)

LOL! That's fighting talk! If wriggly things really do give you
queasitis, then buy the suet blocks with insects/mealworms all mixed in.

I have every intention of doing just that ...

You won't perceive you're handling them in quite the same way. The birds
will still be grateful.

I won't be handling them at all. I have a big strong hubby who can do the
honours thankewverymuch)
BTW I saw the cage for them on that site you shared so I will be going down
that road

I see various birds around them all the time so I think they are safe.
I am
not talking about garden ponds btw ...

Oh, right! Well, so long as the birds are safe.

Well I have never seen any birds swimming thank goodness and they do
seem to be very popular spots

They don't swim. They just drown:~((. However, if the birds have found a
popular spot and are safe, then we're all happy.

They look ok to me These ponds have reeds, bullrushes and stuff too if
that helps?

I think most parent birds feed their young on a high protein insect
diet to build them up. It's only later that other food becomes
acceptable. The important thing is not to offer whole nuts while ever
there may be young birds and inexperience fledglings around because
there is a very real risk of choking.

Oh crumbs! (puts peanuts back in shed - the one without a guttering)

Yes, birds will take crumbs;~)). (E, I shall cut mesen one day!).

Aye thi tongue's getting reet sharp, our lass, so tha'll need to tek care!

About the crumbs, modom? I bake all my bread so there will be options g I
do a nice wholemeal with mixed seeds and toasted wheat flakes! Would modom
think these will be appreciated? I also dry bread to make crumbs for
cooking. Will these be enjoyed our should they have fresh??

(Don't even think of suggesting his nibs wear his dress suit to serve 'em)

As to
the peanuts, you can get them out of the shed again and put them in a mesh
feeder, which is safe. Birds love peanuts and they're good for them, too,
they just need to be available in small pieces so choking is avoided.
Don't feel guilty, by the way, that squirrels aren't getting their share;
peanuts give squirrels osteoporosis.

eeh in out, in out, shake it all about ... so, peanuts back out then!

So when is this likely to happen? Are the few who came today the ones
likely to breed nearby?

There's a good chance of it, I would have thought, especially if you keep
up your feeding regime. Any bird or creature will breed as close to a
good feeding ground as it safely can.

That is cheering news

However, you will need to
stop using pesticides in the garden, otherwise the parent birds will offer
poisoned insect food to their young, which I know you don't want.

I don't use pesticides ... or I haven't so far as I remember.

Hopefully, with a garden full of hungry birds, most of your aphids and
caterpillers will be gobbled up:~).

)

Sheesh I know so little. For many years I was living away from UK or
working and since I retired I moved around with hubby who was an IT
consultant contractor and it is only since he retired fairly recently
that I have had the time to stay home for a long enough period to take
such an interest in the life in my garden. But I am enjoying it very
much, so thank you for teaching me)

I'm not sure I'm teaching you, so much as geeing up your pre-existing
enthusiasm, and chucking in a few tips. I'm no expert. I'm learning as I
go along, too.

Well you sure as heck know more that I do!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/