Old 14-01-2015, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default ping Spider (starlings)

On 14/01/2015 00:18, wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 13:14:08 +0000, Spider wrote:

Birds loved them, Some worms are still alive now.

You can feed your mealworms on fine grade wheat bran, usually available
where you buy cereals. I used to keep a biggish tub of mealworms alive
and well in readiness for feeding my tarantulas (which I no longer have).

Have thought about breeding them in the past as they can be quite
expensive. Would you know what the minimum temperature they will
survive at? We don't really have space indoors .

G.Harman

To be honest, I just kept mine in a large plastic tub on an indoor
window sill, so if I was comfortable, they were comfortable. You don't
need a huge amount of space. Once in a while, you will need a second
box containing the bran to decant live worms into, because there will
inevitably be a build up of shed skins and other detritus. As they
mature, some will turn into beetles if they have not been eaten in time
(less of a problem with birds than tarantulas, I think!), but you need
some beetles to keep the breeding programme going. I just put excess
beetles out in the garden. They never seemed to cause a problem.
Perhaps something else ate them.

http://mealwormcare.org/breeding/

Just found the above link which I'm sure you will find useful. It
suggests that my window sill culture ought not to have been successful,
but it was. Mealworms are extremely easy to breed, they do most of the
work themselves;~).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London