Old 14-01-2015, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] is offline

Default ping Spider (starlings)

On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 00:18:07 +0000, wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 13:14:08 +0000, Spider wrote:

Birds loved them, Some worms are still alive now.

You can feed your mealworms on fine grade wheat bran, usually available
where you buy cereals. I used to keep a biggish tub of mealworms alive
and well in readiness for feeding my tarantulas (which I no longer have).

Have thought about breeding them in the past as they can be quite
expensive. Would you know what the minimum temperature they will
survive at? We don't really have space indoors .

G.Harman

I use to breed the small mealworm variety for my fish about 50 years
ago. From memory, they breed at 20C/68F but it takes about two months.
At 30C/86F it only takes a week or two. The fish house was warm
enough. I have never tried to breed the large variety for feeding
birds but I think they will need the same temperature.

Another memory is that they do best on a mix of oats and
wheat bran with slices of apple on the top of the substrate.

These days I don't think it's worth the effort and heating bill as
tubs of dried ones don't cost much.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software