Old 14-01-2015, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_8_] Ophelia[_8_] is offline

Default ping Spider (starlings)

"Spider" wrote in message

Lovely! I haven't seen a sparrow for ages. Lucky you.

I know We get finches and tits too as well as blackbirds We have a
lot of magpies around too, but none in the garden that I have seen.

I won't be handling them at all. I have a big strong hubby who can do
the honours thankewverymuch)

Just as well, Your Queasyship;~). Thank you to hubby from me (waves).

Done and a grin was forthcoming

BTW I saw the cage for them on that site you shared so I will be going
down that road

Great. I'd only just found that site, but it's very useful
.

They look ok to me These ponds have reeds, bullrushes and stuff too if
that helps?

If nothing else, the fluffy seed from the bullrushes will be a popular
source of nesting material:~).

Ahh so that is the attraction

Oh crumbs! (puts peanuts back in shed - the one without a guttering)

Yes, birds will take crumbs;~)). (E, I shall cut mesen one day!).

Aye thi tongue's getting reet sharp, our lass, so tha'll need to tek
care!

I wouldn't want to cut myself with it ... I might be a venomous spider:~(

*cough* I wouldn't dare presume ...

About the crumbs, modom?

Modom, me!? La di bloomin' dah! You should see me in my claggy gardening
gear .. you wouldn't call me modom then:~)).

heheh you never know))

Fresh is best, simply because it's moister. If you want to put dry bread
out, make sure there is an *immediate* source of water. Dry food can
swell up in a bird's moist gullet and be harmful. I've even seen birds
dunking dry food in water before eating it:~).

Righteo

(Don't even think of suggesting his nibs wear his dress suit to serve
'em)

Well, it would be an improvement on wearing his dress ...
My mind is beginning to boggle;~).

He has lovely knees. I am of course referring to his kilt He is Scottish
born although raised in Yorkshire) So what were you saying about his
dress? hmmm???

As to
the peanuts, you can get them out of the shed again and put them in a
mesh feeder, which is safe. Birds love peanuts and they're good for
them, too, they just need to be available in small pieces so choking
is avoided. Don't feel guilty, by the way, that squirrels aren't
getting their share; peanuts give squirrels osteoporosis.

eeh in out, in out, shake it all about ... so, peanuts back out then!

Yup. That sounds okey cokey;~).

lol

So when is this likely to happen? Are the few who came today the ones
likely to breed nearby?

I'm not sure, but I think I remember that starlings breed and rear their
young in small colonies, so you should have more than one in residence.
However, I can't even tell male from female, so there's no hope of me
telling you which of the usual suspects will settle. Once they're got
young, though, you may have to be prepared for some territorial
aggression. I'm sure there'll be other local colonies of 'your' starlings
not far away, waiting for an opportunity to snatch some food:~)

We had a bit of a mob today and there were around 12 at a time on the
sdff!!! That odd looking thing has certainly proved a success

I don't use pesticides ... or I haven't so far as I remember.

:~) Good. Keep up the good work.

Hopefully, with a garden full of hungry birds, most of your aphids
and caterpillers will be gobbled up:~).

)

I'm not sure I'm teaching you, so much as geeing up your pre-existing
enthusiasm, and chucking in a few tips. I'm no expert. I'm learning
as I go along, too.

Well you sure as heck know more that I do!

Well some of it, once learned, applies to most birds, which makes it
easier. I picked up a lot from my father, although professional birdy
knowledge has shifted its opinion over the years. I just enjoy birds and
learning, rather like yourself:~).

Ahaaaa I reckon I will be happy with your father's advice filtered through
you))

Yes, I am enjoying it very much)

Thank you as always)

--