Old 15-01-2015, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What to do ...

On 1/15/2015 7:30 AM, Frank wrote:
On 1/11/2015 2:20 PM, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Derald wrote:

Frank wrote:

Just wish I saw as many deer when I hunt them as I do in my yard
where I
can't.
Seems to me bows exist for such situations....?

Check _all_ the details of your local game laws. Various places I have
lived and been aware of the laws, there was a big honking exception for
"on your own property."

Whether that is true at this time for the place you live, or not, is
something _you_ need to find out. And, as Derald says, you might also
need a bow to keep from having the neighbors freak out. The squeamish
ones might freak out anyway, but you're not forcing them to look...

I might get away with it but while state law prohibits discharge of a
deadly weapon within 50 yards of an occupied dwelling the county
requires 200 yards. I know a guy that was arrested, taken off in
handcuffs, paid a $100 fine and lost his bow just for target practicing
in his back yard. I don't need that hassle.

Makes me glad I live in Texas, we do archery practice in a teeny
backyard with a six foot board fence around it. I do a little shooting
practice with my air rifle too. Homeowners Association rules say no
firearm discharges but air rifles are fine if used properly. My property
backs up on a retention pond (a requirement in this area) and it's about
a hundred yards to the houses behind us.

Our big problem is stray cats that want to poop in our raised bed
gardens, the Rat Terrier that lives with us takes care of those pretty
quick. She thinks that anything that comes in her territory is a rat.