Old 16-01-2015, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_8_] Ophelia[_8_] is offline

Default ping Spider (starlings)

Lovely! I haven't seen a sparrow for ages. Lucky you.

I know We get finches and tits too as well as blackbirds We have a
lot of magpies around too, but none in the garden that I have seen.

We also have the Ring-necked Parakeets regularly now. They seem to be
established locally now. I find them very attractive and can still enjoy
their screeching call. I may be in the minority, however. Some people
call them Wring-necked Parakeets! I don't know if you'll ever see them
that far up't'north, but I think you'd welcome them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Rose-ringed_Parakeet

Not only have I not seen them here, I haven't seen any at all! They look
like a lovely addition to your garden) I see they are 'descended from
pets and aviary birds'. I am sure they will get a good dinner in your
garden)

I won't be handling them at all. I have a big strong hubby who can do
the honours thankewverymuch)

Just as well, Your Queasyship;~). Thank you to hubby from me (waves).

Done and a grin was forthcoming

:~).

BTW I saw the cage for them on that site you shared so I will be going
down that road

Great. I'd only just found that site, but it's very useful
.

They look ok to me These ponds have reeds, bullrushes and stuff too
if
that helps?

If nothing else, the fluffy seed from the bullrushes will be a popular
source of nesting material:~).

Ahh so that is the attraction

Must make a nice, comfy nest:~)

In or near my garden if you please)

Oh crumbs! (puts peanuts back in shed - the one without a guttering)

Yes, birds will take crumbs;~)). (E, I shall cut mesen one day!).

Aye thi tongue's getting reet sharp, our lass, so tha'll need to tek
care!

I wouldn't want to cut myself with it ... I might be a venomous
spider:~(

*cough* I wouldn't dare presume ...

Fang you for being so circumspect;~)

Nodnodnod *backs off slowly, not making any sudden moves*

Not sure what I would do if I came up against a very large spider We
have small ones in our house and they are very welcome Still some people
are afraid of them. I don't know if I mentioned this, but one day I was in
the bedroom when the phone rang. I answered it and sat on the bed to chat
with a friend. Just then, a spider ran up one side, across the bed and down
the other side. I mentioned this to my friend and *SHE* started
screaming!!!

About the crumbs, modom?

Modom, me!? La di bloomin' dah! You should see me in my claggy
gardening gear .. you wouldn't call me modom then:~)).

heheh you never know))

Fresh is best, simply because it's moister. If you want to put dry
bread out, make sure there is an *immediate* source of water. Dry
food can swell up in a bird's moist gullet and be harmful. I've even
seen birds dunking dry food in water before eating it:~).

Righteo

(Don't even think of suggesting his nibs wear his dress suit to
serve 'em)

Well, it would be an improvement on wearing his dress ...
My mind is beginning to boggle;~).

He has lovely knees. I am of course referring to his kilt He is
Scottish born although raised in Yorkshire) So what were you saying
about his dress? hmmm???

Oooooer! I'm not going to pick a fight with him now. What fine breeding
(creep creep) and upbringing (grovel).

LOL

You'll have heard the comparison, I'm su A Yorkshireman is very like a
Scot .. but without the innate generosity:~)). Sadly it says nothing
about lovely knees.

LOL But he has both, I don't mean both knees ;-) I mean nice knees and a
very kind and generous nature)

We had a bit of a mob today and there were around 12 at a time on the
sdff!!! That odd looking thing has certainly proved a success

Well, you can't dismantle it now. That shed will be gutted;~)

No, he won't do it now until the birds stop needing the food for winter. We
have heavy snow atm and I see the fat balls are totally covered by snow.
When it eases up a bit I need to go down and clear it.

Ooh just spotted a small flock of starlings in the sky swooping about. Not
come down here though

Hopefully, with a garden full of hungry birds, most of your aphids
and caterpillers will be gobbled up:~).

)

Ahaaaa I reckon I will be happy with your father's advice filtered
through you))

That's nice. He'll be smiling up in heaven now:~).

Good)) I expect he is always smiling down at you though)

Yes, I am enjoying it very much)

Thank you as always)

A pleasure, as always:~)).

))