Old 16-01-2015, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default ping Spider (starlings)

On 16/01/2015 17:39, Ophelia wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Rose-ringed_Parakeet

Not only have I not seen them here, I haven't seen any at all! They
look like a lovely addition to your garden) I see they are 'descended
from pets and aviary birds'. I am sure they will get a good dinner in
your garden)

They are beautiful and, yes, they do very well, not just in my garden,
but the whole road~).

Will they nest in your garden?

I doubt it. I've seen them in my elm tree, but it's not old enough for
a parakeet nest. They like holes in huge old trees and have been known
to take over woodpeckers' nests. We have a local wood at the end of the
road with lots of old trees in, so I imagine they'll set up home there.
Not too far away, so I shall see them throughout the year:~).

If nothing else, the fluffy seed from the bullrushes will be a
popular
source of nesting material:~).

Ahh so that is the attraction

Must make a nice, comfy nest:~)

In or near my garden if you please)

No guarantees, but I'll cross my fingers when I've finished typing:~).

Ta, luv

Glad to be of service:~).

I wouldn't want to cut myself with it ... I might be a venomous
spider:~(

*cough* I wouldn't dare presume ...

Fang you for being so circumspect;~)

Nodnodnod *backs off slowly, not making any sudden moves*

LOL! Now that's respect!:~))

Not sure what I would do if I came up against a very large spider
We have small ones in our house and they are very welcome Still some
people are afraid of them. I don't know if I mentioned this, but one
day I was in the bedroom when the phone rang. I answered it and sat on
the bed to chat with a friend. Just then, a spider ran up one side,
across the bed and down the other side. I mentioned this to my friend
and *SHE* started screaming!!!

Arachnophobes are extraordinarily reactive (although they don't glow
in the dark!).

Yers g

I used to be *dreadfully* arachnophobic, reacting to half
an inch of spider's web as well as all spiders. I couldn't even look
at a spider in a book. It completely affected my life, so I quite
understand your friend's behaviour. I'm glad you get along with my
little friends, if not huge ones.

What changed?

I had a very bad spider experience (not bitten, just trapped) and went
to the doc. He sent me to the Maudsley Hospital to undergo a
desensitisation programme. It wasn't easy, but 3mnths later I was able
to handle both webs and spiders. Next thing was a pet tarantula:~)). I
had about 16 at one point, but don't have them now. Just 2 cats.

I haven't come across anything very big. The biggest we have knocking
around there 'ere parts is about 1 inch across. Gave me quite a start
one evening as it ran across the floor) That is about the biggest I
have seen here.

Being a proper spider person, I have to ask if that was just the body,
or the legspan included, please?

LOL But he has both, I don't mean both knees ;-) I mean nice knees and a
very kind and generous nature)

Glad to hear it, but I'm still not taking any risks;~)

Nahh he is a real sweetie, well with people he likes you understand ...
I am very sure he would like you)

:~)) and I'm sure I would like him, too ... well, both of you, of
course:~)).

Well, you can't dismantle it now. That shed will be gutted;~)

No, he won't do it now until the birds stop needing the food for
winter. We have heavy snow atm and I see the fat balls are totally
covered by snow. When it eases up a bit I need to go down and clear it.

We have no snow, but I've just rushed in from the garden through a
hail and rain shower. I put some extra bird food out, so that will be
welcome if the weather turns.

)

Ooh just spotted a small flock of starlings in the sky swooping about.
Not come down here though

Probably looking for a cosy roost for the night. You'll have them
back in the morning. How could they resist the sd(tm)?:~)

How indeed)

Ahaaaa I reckon I will be happy with your father's advice filtered
through you))

That's nice. He'll be smiling up in heaven now:~).

Good)) I expect he is always smiling down at you though)

Oh, that's such a nice thought!:~)) I've gone all over unnecessary!
I've got his picture all over the house and he's smiling (one of those
intelligent smiles with a twinkle in the eye).

))) Enjoy

I always do, thank you.:~)
Right, It's time for dinner, so I'll say ta ra for now. Have a good
evening both of you. Keep warm.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London