Old 17-01-2015, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Too wet to plow ...

George Shirley wrote:
I think our blueberry bushes drowned due to the shallow pits in the
fill clay we dug to plant them. As a consequence we will be deepening
and making wider the planting holes. This property has about three
inches of sand on top of five feet of gumbo clay. Rather than dig out
the clay to a depth that would help I use a steel pry bar to poke
holes into the bottom of the planting hole as deep as I can, helps
the roots start breaking up the clay.

We also have a somewhat clay soil , but there is enough ttopsoil on top
and enough slope to the land that we don't get pooling . Sounds like you've
got a plan ...

Our seed order from Territorial should be here next week and we can
start growing out some seedlings. Most of the plants we can buy at the
big box stores, etc. don't grow properly and seldom prosper.

I'll be getting onions from the co-op , they did really well last year .
I'll be planting them in staged this year , we ended up with too many at
once last year . Any starts I buy will be from a local grocery's nursery ,
they have a very knowledgeable gal in chcharge .

A slight warming trend, 34F predicted for tonight, then into the
fifties tomorrow again. We should be transplanting by early March.

Last year I put my tomatoes out on April 15th , supposed to be past frost
danger . They all got bit that night . This year they'll be left in the hot
box (yet to be built , but I have everything I need on hand) until I'm
certain . They'll also be bigger , I just bought 100 4" pplastic pots for my
seedlings . I'll start them in toilet paper tubes , then they'll go into the
pots until planting time - I expect they'll be a lot bigger too .
Note to self , pick up some potting soil today !
--
Snag