Old 17-01-2015, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Too wet to plow ...

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

I was going to plant some other stuff for the bees yesterday , but
it all wants to wait til after the last frost . I did manage to get
the rose bush and tulips I got the wife for Christmas planted ,
hopefully early enough the tulips will bloom this year .

i hope the tulips do ok, but i'd be uncertain with
this late of a planting. may take another year or two
to sort themselves out. if the rose bush wasn't dried
out or otherwise damaged it will probably do ok as long
as you don't get frosts from now on. those tender new
growths are easy to damage.

I think today I'll be setting up the shelf in the south window
that I use to start my veggies . Nothing like getting a jump start
on ol' Ma Nature . Got my plan made as to what goes where and how
many of each , just gotta implement it now . Much of this year's
garden will be from seed saved from previous years , and not a
single seed from WM will be used - after last year's debacle with
the tomatoes , I no longer trust them to be what the package says .

good luck!

songbird

I checked with the gal at the nursery , she felt the tulips stand a pretty
fair chance of blooming this year - the bulbs have been stored out in my
unheated shop and that's in my favor . The rose bush came from that nursery
, and has been out in an unheated greenhouse until I brought it home just
before Christmas . I had it up close to the house and had a blanket over it
during our recent near-zero event . The foilage is mostly gone , though
there are a few green buds and a tiny bit of bud growth . I'll be watching
the weather , if it looks like a really hard freeze I'll cover it with
straw - it's got one of my tomato cages around it for just that possubility
.. We have about another six weeks or so before the weather warms up very
much . I hope they bloom this year , but if they don't , all the daffodils
and iris I planted earlier will be enough color .

--
Snag