Old 17-01-2015, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Too wet to plow ...

On 1/17/2015 11:19 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

...blueberries...

arg! sorry, i sure hope they are ok in the end.
i'd perch them up higher on more organic materials
as they'll need that acidity anyways.

Planning on using a lot of rotted pine bark compost plus putting pine
needles down as a mulch.

Also have to amend the beds dug around the back fence line. The clay we
dig out goes behind the fence to keep the fence from falling over.
Eventually will have to redo the eight year old fence as it was badly
built to start with. I was out yesterday afternoon putting screws into
fence boards that originally had really short nails somewhat holding
them on the rails. The houses here are thrown up in about a week and the
fences in about a quarter of a day. Slowly all the residents of this sub
division are rebuilding their fences, we're next.

is a fence required by the HOA?

Oh yeah, can only be six feet tall, several other rules on fencing. Lots
of rules in this HOA, run by an idiot who was elected, most people
dislike him and, I hope, this will be his first and last term. The
covenants are state approved and must follow rules. I may be bitter
because this is the first time we've ever lived in an HOA. I'm used to
doing what I want with my property. If you repaint you have to fill out
a form and add paint chips and it must be approved by a committee. As
you would expect there are a lot of white or tan houses here. When we
repaint I want to try for red. G

A slight warming trend, 34F predicted for tonight, then into the fifties
tomorrow again. We should be transplanting by early March.

we'll be above freezing today for the first time in a
few weeks. no complaints on my part...

songbird

We bought some composted cow manure and some more peat moss today, it's
being blended in today and tomorrow. Seeds should be here early in the
week and we can start some seeds. I use a shop fluorescent light, two
tube, four feet long. Put in a daylight tube and a sunlight tube, cheap
at the big box store, run the light sixteen hours a day. Been doing that
for years and also have a hot pad under the trays.