Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Jim Webster

Default UK farm profitability to jun 2002

Dave Roberts wrote in message
In article , Jim Webster
writes

Dave Roberts wrote in message
Surely voluntary bankruptcy is the only realistic option for a

business
in this sort of state. Hanging on to see if things are better in

ten
years doesn't sound like a sound strategy.

Tough break I know...........

remember they are the children and grandchildren of people who did
exactly the same thing. You tend to think in long term cycles.
I wouldn't say they are right, but voluntary bankruptcy doesn't give
them a lot while survival would.

I would have thought that remains to be seen. It could be a case that

it
would be better to cut your losses.

Only time will tell, Beckett and Haskins have been making fairly

upbeat
noises but then they would do wouldn't they ?

well they are both pretty irrelevant.

The big thing at the moment is the euro is rising against the £.
Also if retail sales are back then the £ could take something of a fall.
If we are going into a depression of any sort, the level of the £ is
going to make things worse, because so much food is no longer produced
here, we have exported production of a lot over the last three or four
years.

Getting out of farming at the right time would appear to be a tough
judgement to make.

very few have ever done it. The best rule was get out the year after the
war ends but that broke down in 1945.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Cheers
Dave